Monday, July 21, 2008

The Danger of Anger


Ephesians 4: 26-27 "In your anger do not sin": Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold.


In this world today, there seems to be a lot of anger, including some in my world. I really had to buckle down and see what is the root cause of this anger and what is it doing to me. Anger is the result of some inequity that is happening in your life that seems to have taken over with little to no control. It is an energy that is draining us of a lasting relationship with the Lord. As I asked God to lead me to scriptures regarding anger, he led me to the one stated above. Now I had to ask myself, how would anger lead me to sin? Well easily! I easily wanted to get revenge and these evil thoughts came upon me as soon as the devil entered the situation in my mind. How can I get back at this person? How can I ruin them just like they have tried to ruin me? I really seen how anger definitely can lead to sin. All of these evil thoughts can easily persuade me to sin and then I am held accountable for my actions. For every action, there will be a consequence that I will have to face, either with man or with God.


So what good does it do to get angry and sin? None! Is my anger controllable? Well, yes it is! I had to really pray about the situation. You see, the devil had a really strong foothold on me. I had all kinds of evil thoughts and actions that I can do to that person. I was planning it all out. The how, when, and where was taking over me like a possession of the devil. But God didn't see fit to let that happen. I had to calm down, see the real picture, and really pray long and hard for God to enter. Lord, what is happening to me? Why do I feel the need for revenge? Will this help solve anything or is this just an instant satisfaction to my flesh? All I am going to do is get myself into really bad trouble that I just don't need. So does this leave the situation in limbo? No, God tells us to trust in Him all the time. He will not fail you. He will not leave you or forsake you. He says vengeance is His, so why do I have to take it in my own hands? That is another aspect that evolves around control. Controlling the situation when all I need to do is cast my cares upon Him. He doesn't need my help, so why do I feel the need to sit on the throne with Him?


We all go through situations that can lead to anger but I want you to think about acting rather than reacting to the situation. Don't react to the situation hastily and get all caught up in revenge and seeking out your own vengeance. The danger will explode right in your face with a result that is not pleasing. Instead, act in a way that you know God will be pleased with. Go to God in prayer, honestly, and let Him handle all of your worries, resentment, anger, and any other issues that may be causing harm to your inner being. Whether you know it or not, anger can lead to health problems as well as spiritual and mental problems. You have to remember that you are His child and He is your Father, and just as any father protects his child, He will do that plus more. He will do everything in His power to shield you from danger and all you have to do is trust. So when you feel the anger erupting inside, take a long breather, pray wherever you are, and let God handle the rest. He hears and knows how you feel, so don't take it into your own control. Let God be God and watch how the situation will be resolved in your favor. Anger is a robber of your faith, so don't let the devil get any more strongholds on you. Choose today to release the anger and activate your faith!


Psalm 4:1-8

1 Answer me when I call to you, O my righteous God. Give me relief from my distress; be merciful to me and hear my prayer.
2 How long, O men, will you turn my glory into shame? How long will you love delusions and seek false gods? Selah
3 Know that the LORD has set apart the godly for himself; the LORD will hear when I call to him.

4 In your anger do not sin; when you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent. Selah
5 Offer right sacrifices and trust in the LORD.
6 Many are asking, "Who can show us any good?" Let the light of your face shine upon us, O LORD.
7 You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound.

8 I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.

1 comment:

Lisa C. aka Trophy of Grace said...

There will be situations that will occur in our life that will cause us to be angry. No one is immune to it. But we have the Holy Spirit who can help us walk in love even when we're angry. We can learn to be angry and not sin if we walk in the Spirit of Love.

I have been going through my own situations that hit my heart so deeply. The Lord is teaching me to let the offense go daily because if I meditate on it I find myself getting angry all over again.

I don't want to be a slave to my emotions. Especially the emotion of anger.

Thru this all the Spirit of God has lead me to study and learn meekness. Pray for me please..